Health & Safety Manager
Fixed Term Contract / Maternity Cover (until 1st October 2018)
Based at the Distillery on Wheatfield Road, Edinburgh with regular travel to other sites.
An opportunity has arisen through maternity cover to lead the Health & Safety Department and oversee delivery of the established Company Safety Improvement Plan.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the key responsibilities for this role include:
- Managing and reporting on the ongoing implementation and progress of our Health & Safety Strategy / Improvement Plan
- Leading a team of site-based Health & Safety Advisers to promote positive influence and engagement with health and safety across all levels of our business
- Advising our Senior Management Team on compliance, best practice and performance in health and safety KPIs and PSPIs, while demonstrating the clear links between safety and operational excellence
- Assisting our Production & Engineering Departments with strategies for managing the storage of hazardous substances and safely operating / maintaining our plant
- Leading the change from task-based risk assessment / safe operating procedures to incorporate best practice in human factors, hazard-based risk assessment and process safety elements
- Chairing various steering groups, such as the COMAH Group (including DSEAR compliance), LOLER Group and Senior Safety Committee and embedding the action plans arising from these
- Liaising with the relevant regulatory bodies regarding COMAH compliance and ALARP / best practice principles
- Working with relevant industry bodies to share knowledge / best practice and assist with the upkeep of our industry standards.
To succeed in this role, the following skills and attributes are required:
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent health and safety management qualification is essential
- Previous whisky industry experience in a compliance role is highly desirable
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent communication skills, with a customer-focused approach
- Strong planning and organisation skills, with the ability to adapt to changing business needs
- Applies an engaging, proactive and motivated approach
- Pays attention to detail and takes pride in delivering a professional standard of work.
For further information, please follow this link: H&S Manager Job Description
Closing date for applications is Friday 17th November 2017.